Our lawyers have considerable experience and expertise in structuring and negotiating large and complex projects across a range of industries, utilities and infrastructure, including the oil and gas, water, power, industrial and petrochemical sectors.
Hadef & Partners has a pre-eminent track record in acting for project sponsors and financiers in the UAE power and water industry, as well as advising in other groundbreaking public private partnerships (PPPs) and project funding structures in a range of sectors.
The UAE is a leading international energy producer and investor, and our team advises on projects and investments in the upstream, midstream and downstream sectors (including projects and investments with a cross-border element).
In the upstream sector, we have experience of various forms of concession, licensing and production sharing agreements, joint operating and joint venture agreements, farm-ins, farm-outs and other forms of investment participation and unitisation arrangements. In the midstream and downstream sectors, we have advised on transportation and processing contracts, product sale and purchase agreements, marketing, distribution and agency arrangements, and energy storage transactions.
We have represented clients in some of the region’s largest projects including the GCC’s first cross border processed gas transmission project and the largest energy-related venture ever undertaken in the region. Our team has been involved in major transactions in various international jurisdictions including in the UAE, Iran, Iraq, Yemen, Egypt, Oman, Qatar, Libya, Sudan, Malaysia, Pakistan, India, Vietnam, the United Kingdom, Norway, Papua New Guinea and the Falkland Islands.
Many of our lawyers have extensive experience working as in-house counsel to international oil and gas companies. As such, we offer a comprehensive start to finish service ensuring our clients’ business objectives are met whilst taking into consideration the requirements of other stakeholders throughout the life of the project.
We advise on:
- formation of consortia into joint venture legal entities to acquire energy assets or to build, own, operate, finance, and develop energy projects
- project finance and refinancing
- evaluation, acquisition and disposal of oil and gas assets
- various forms of production sharing agreements; operating and joint venture agreements; farm-ins; unitisations; transportation and processing agreements; crude oil and product sale and purchase agreements; joint marketing, distribution, agency, and fuel depot agreements; crude oil and product sales agreements; technical and commercial services agreements; project management services agreements and operation and maintenance services agreements; tariff agreements, tolling agreements, power purchase agreements, fuel supply agreements, and gas sale and purchase agreements/offtake agreements
- various types of EPIC and EPC contracts for major construction activities for petroleum ventures
- competitive tendering and probity
- environmental compliance and surveying agreements
- procurement of environmental licences and approvals and the preparation and negotiation of requirements for Environmental Impact Assessments
- the pursuit and defence of contractual claims before courts and tribunals.
Winner of the IFLR Middle East Project Finance Deal of the Year Award 2009 for Paris-Sorbonne PPP
Asian Counsel Deal of the Year 2007 for the Fujairah 1 IWPP Project.
“Technically excellent … One of the Middle East’s most influential indigenous firms”
Legal 500, 2008
Hadef & Partners “benefits from an experienced projects team that has significant infrastructure experience … One of the foremost local players, this firm has many fans within the international legal community”
Chambers Global, 2008
“Recognised force in infrastructure and project finance”
Legal 500, 2008