Our intellectual property practice specialises in contentious and non-contentious intellectual property matters, advising clients on the legal, regulatory and commercial aspects of intellectual property.
We advise on the protection and use of intellectual property across a broad range of sectors in the UAE.
We actively help our clients achieve their commercial aims, advising on effective intellectual property and brand preservation, protective measures, and providing suggestions for practical solutions.
From the earliest stages, we act to protect the intellectual property rights and interests of our local and international clients. We consider how best to preserve intellectual property rights, as well as how best to enable the practical use and effective commercialisation of intellectual property, whether in franchise arrangements, distribution matters, through other third party licensing arrangements or brand development.
We also advise clients on matters of their online profile, including e-commerce, which is a rapidly developing area within the region’s market. We see an increasing demand for advice on such matters which often involve the use of intellectual property.
Whether new to the region, expanding your business presence online, or entering into new commercial arrangements in the UAE, we provide bespoke intellectual property advisory services to structure commercial arrangements at the preliminary stages and place your business strategically to best realise the potential in the value of your intellectual property rights.
Should a potential infringement or dispute arise, we have considerable expertise in enforcing rights against counterfeiters and copiers of well-known brands, as well as experience in enforcement proceedings with the relevant ministries/government departments and the UAE civil and criminal courts. With one of the largest dispute resolution teams in the UAE, with rights of audience before the UAE courts, as well as the DIFC Courts, we present our clients with the full spectrum of options should a dispute arise.
Our intellectual property lawyers have backgrounds in commercial, dispute resolution, corporate, and regulatory. Firm wide, our lawyers have experience in almost every sector, including: retail, hospitality, F&B, energy, utilities, financial services, education, health, construction, transportation, real estate, tourism, manufacturing, technology and media and advertising.
We work with our colleagues, in our commercial, dispute resolution, and regulatory teams as part of a total response to our clients' needs.
The breadth of knowledge gained from our experience enables us to provide well informed and practical advice, addressing international requirements and standards, while addressing specific laws, regulations, practices and market customs of the UAE.
Our clients range from multi-national corporations, to SME’s and individuals, including:
- creators of new and innovative products and services within the market;
- corporations that are new to the UAE, seeking to expand their operations, and perhaps unaware of the intellectual property and brand protection issues that may affect their businesses; and
- entities that already have an established business presence within the UAE.
We advise on all manner and aspects of intellectual property in the UAE, in relation to non-contentious matters, including:
- safeguarding legal rights to intellectual property in various commercial arrangements;
- intellectual property rich commercial structures and transactions;
- securing intellectual property rights and brand protection within corporate re-structuring, takeovers or mergers and acquisitions;
- brand and trademark protection and exploitation through franchising, distribution, merchandising, licensing and various other types of services agreements,
and in relation to contentious matters:
- defending intellectual property rights;
- enforcement strategy and litigation where there has been a breach of intellectual property rights; and
- effective remedies for intellectual property breach.